Definition of paintpot
1 : a receptacle (as a pot, pail, bucket) for holding paint
2 usually paint pot : an orifice in the earth (as in the vicinity of a volcano, geyser, hot spring) usually marked by a protruding conical mud rim and containing a liquid mass of thin mud usually agitated with hot vapors or gases and often vividly colored through chemical reaction induced by heat
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game