Definition of paint roller
: a roller that consists typically of a rotating cylinder about two inches in diameter and six inches in length covered with an absorbent material and mounted on a handle so that the cylinder can be dipped into paint or otherwise (as through a hollow feeding center) be supplied with paint and rolled over a flat surface (as a wall) so as to apply the paint
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game