pack upphrasal verb
packed up; packing up; packs up
Definition of pack up
1 : to gather one's belongings together and put them in a suitcase or other container for traveling He packed up and left town.
2 British, informal : to stop or quit She packs up when things become difficult.
3 British, informal : to stop working properly The lift has packed up, so you'll have to take the stairs to her flat.
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game