pack upphrasal verb
packed up; packing up; packs up
Definition of pack up
1 : to gather one's belongings together and put them in a suitcase or other container for traveling He packed up and left town.
2 British, informal : to stop or quit She packs up when things become difficult.
3 British, informal : to stop working properly The lift has packed up, so you'll have to take the stairs to her flat.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game