pack on (the) poundsidiom
Definition of pack on (the) pounds
chiefly US, informal
: to gain weight or a certain amount of weight Americans are continuing to pack on the pounds. He hopes to pack on 20 pounds of muscle before the competition.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game