variants: or oxo reaction
Definition of oxo process
1 : a process for synthesizing aldehydes (as propionaldehyde) by the addition of carbon monoxide and hydrogen under pressure to olefins (as ethylene) in the presence of a usually cobalt catalyst — compare hydroformylation
2 : a process for synthesizing alcohols (as isooctyl alcohol) usually by producing aldehydes from olefins and hydrogenating the aldehydes to alcohols — compare oxyl process
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?