Definition of overwithhold
: to withhold too much of (something) especially : to deduct a greater amount of (money) from an employee's pay for tax than the employee is legally required to pay At least two-thirds of us overwithhold our pay for federal tax purposes. — Brent Hunsberger If you often get a big tax refund, you're overwithholding. — Sheryl Nance-Nash
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game