Definition of overrunning clutch
1 : a clutch used in a starter that transmits cranking effort but overruns freely when the engine tries to drive the starter
2 : a special clutch used in several mechanisms that permits a rotating member to turn freely under some conditions but not under others
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game