Definition of overfall
1 : a turbulent surface of water caused by strong currents setting over submerged ridges or shoals or by winds opposing a current —usually used in plural
3 : a place provided for the overflow of surplus water (as from a canal or lock)
4 : a sudden increase of depth in the bottom of the sea or other large body of water
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game