Definition of overassessment
: the act or an instance of assessing something (such as a property) at too high a rate, amount, or value : improperly high assessment If anyone has had to sell their [condo] units for a loss, that has … to do with speculation, and overassessment of what the units were actually worth.— Brent Toderian Appeals coming from the neighborhood are expected to alert the tax assessor to the neighborhood's overassessment, causing assessments to be lowered in the following year.— Keith R. Ihlanfeldt … made an error in its measurements of the … property, which resulted in an overassessment of about $24 million.— Damon Lawrence
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game