Definition of outsider art
: art produced by untrained or naïve artists (such as children or psychiatric patients) who are not part of the mainstream art tradition Small objects and furnishings by self-taught artists like Mr. Norton have come to be known as “outsider art.”— Patricia Leigh Brown, New York Times, 3 Jan. 1991 She mixes 18th-and-19th-century folk art, outsider art, and favorite groupings of like items, such as chairs, boxes, and candle molds.— Kathy Barnes, Country Home, July/August 2006
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Looking at ‘Bothsidesing’
- On ‘Infringe,’ ‘Encroach,’ and ‘Impinge’
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/20/19
- A Note on the Nonbinary 'They'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?