variants: or less commonly ouricuri \ ¦u̇rəkə¦rē \ or aricuri \ ¦är- \
Definition of ouricury
1 : a straight-trunked Brazilian palm (Syagrus coronata) of the family Palmae having a large thick crown of wax-covered leaves
— called also urucuri iba
2 : an important Brazilian feather palm (Attalaea excelsa) whose large oily nuts are burned for their smoke in curing Para rubber
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game