Definition of other half
1 : a group of people who are not like someone because they are either very rich or very poor —used in the phrase how the other half lives They won a million dollars and, for a few years, got to see how the other half lives.
2 chiefly British, old-fashioned + humorous : a person's wife or husband I don't believe we have anything planned for that night, but let me check with my other half.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game