Definition of orthoformic ester
: an ester of orthoformic acid especially : the liquid triethyl ester HC(OC2H5)3 of pungent odor made by reaction of sodium ethoxide with either chloroform or carbon tetrachloride and used in making acetals
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game