or·ni·thog·a·lum | \ ˌȯ(r)nəˈthägələm \
Definition of ornithogalum
1 capitalized : a large genus of Old World bulbous herbs (family Liliaceae) with basal leaves resembling grass and naked scapes bearing clusters of white, yellow, or greenish flowers with spreading perianth segments and flattened filaments — see star-of-bethlehem
2 plural -s : any plant of the genus Ornithogalum
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game