Definition of orle
a : a number of small charges arranged so as to form a border within the edge of the field an orle of martlets
b : a border within and parallel to but not touching the edge of the field
c : the wreath or chaplet surmounting or encircling the helmet of a knight and bearing the crest
2 : a narrow fillet at the top of a shaft separating it from the bell of the capital or at the bottom above the molding of the base
: in the form of an orle round the escutcheon leaving the middle of the field vacant or occupied by something else —used of bearings on the shield
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?