or·ga·nis·trum | \ ˌȯ(r)gəˈnistrəm\
Definition of organistrum
: a large medieval hurdy-gurdy played by two musicians In one scene, the king and queen are playing an organistrum, the predecessor of the minstrels' hurdy-gurdy …— Benito Varela Jácome and A. Rodríguez Gonzáles, Santiago de Compostela, 1978
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game