order of filiationnoun
Definition of order of filiation
: a court order declaring a man to be the biological father of an illegitimate child The parties were never married. Defendant voluntarily paid some of the child's support but stopped when the child was 12 years old. Plaintiff filed for an order of filiation and support. The trial court awarded child support and retroactive support from the date that defendant stopped paying support. — Michigan Lawyers Weekly, 8 May 2006
— called also (British) affiliation order
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game