Definition of oracle bone
: a bone used in early China especially during the Shang dynasty 1765–1123 b.c. in divination by writing a question upon it, heating it, and divining the answer from the resultant cracks
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game