op·i·som·e·ter | \ ˌäpəˈsämətə(r)\
Definition of opisometer
: an instrument used for measuring curved lines (as on a map) and consisting essentially of a screw with a wheel-shaped nut that is made to rotate forward along the curved lines and then backward to its original position on the screw along a straight scale
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game