opened up; opening up; opens up
Definition of open up
1 : to make available or possible The discovery opens up the possibility of new cures.
2 : to make plain or visible : disclose
3 : to open by cutting into
1 : to become available or possible The hostess will let us know when a table opens up.
2 : to spread out or come into view The road opens up ahead.
3 : to commence firing
4 : to become communicative tried to get the patient to open up
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Piano': Its Name Is Only Half the Story
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/15/19
- 'Cliché': We’ve Heard It All Before
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
Ask the Editors
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game