opened up; opening up; opens up
Definition of open up
1 : to make available or possible The discovery opens up the possibility of new cures.
2 : to make plain or visible : disclose
3 : to open by cutting into
1 : to become available or possible The hostess will let us know when a table opens up.
2 : to spread out or come into view The road opens up ahead.
3 : to commence firing
4 : to become communicative tried to get the patient to open up
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game