Definition of onion fly
1 : a dipterous insect of the family Anthomyiidae whose larva feeds on onion bulbs especially : an originally European insect (Hylemya antiqua) now widely distributed in America
2 : an insect (Tritoxa flexa) of the family Otitidae with habits like those of the onion fly
— called also black onion fly
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game