on the/someone's/something's way outidiom
Definition of on the/someone's/something's way out
1 : leaving a place or position Would you mind closing the door on your way out? There are rumors that the superintendent of schools is on the way out.
2 : becoming no longer popular He incorrectly predicted that the Internet would be on its way out within three years.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game