on the/someone's/something's way outidiom
Definition of on the/someone's/something's way out
1 : leaving a place or position Would you mind closing the door on your way out? There are rumors that the superintendent of schools is on the way out.
2 : becoming no longer popular He incorrectly predicted that the Internet would be on its way out within three years.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game