Definition of olive shell
: any of numerous chiefly tropical marine gastropod mollusks of the genus Oliva or the family Olividae having an elongate smooth highly polished shell with a very short spire, a narrow mouth notched in front, a plicate columella, a large foot, and a mantle that envelops the shell — compare olivella
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game