Definition of oleyl alcohol
: an oily liquid unsaturated compound C17H33CH2OH found in fish oils and other marine-animal oils that is made by reduction or hydrogenation of esters of oleic acid and is used chiefly in making surface-active agents and plasticizers; cis-9-octadecen-1-ol
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?