Definition of oil process
: a photographic printing process in which a layer of gelatin is sensitized with a bichromate solution, exposed under a negative, soaked in water, and inked with an oily printing ink by a brush, the unexposed portions of the gelatin swelling in the water and repelling the oily ink while the exposed portions tanned by the light action remain unswollen and accept the ink
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game