office of arms
Definition of office of arms
1 : a body of officers of arms of a nation organized as a corporate body or as a division of the government
2 usually capitalized first O&A : the office in Dublin, terminated March 31, 1943, of which Ulster king of arms was head, having charge of heraldic matters in the island of Ireland
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?