odor of sanctity
Definition of odor of sanctity
1 : a fragrance held to proceed from the person, clothing, or domicile of a saint during life or after death died in the odor of sanctity and … was canonized— Charles Speroni
2a : an appearance of or reputation for goodness and righteousness the odor of sanctity that seemed to cling about his every utterance— Kenneth Roberts
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game