octaplanoun, often capitalized
oc·ta·pla | \ ˈäktəplə\
Definition of octapla
: an edition or work in eight texts or versions in parallel columns especially : an edition of a portion of the Old Testament compiled by Origen in the 3d century a.d. and consisting of the Hebrew text and seven Greek versions of it — compare hexapla
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?