oboe d'a·mo·re | \ ¦ō(ˌ)bōdəˈmōrē, ˌōbəˌwād-\
plural oboi d'amore\ ˌōbəˌwēd- \ or oboe d'amores\ -rˌēz \
Definition of oboe d'amore
1 : a mezzo-soprano oboe having a pear-shaped bell and a rich somber tone
2 or oboe d'amour \ ¦ō(ˌ)bōdəˈmu̇(ə)r \ plural oboe d'amours\ -rz\ [ modification (influenced by oboe) of French hautbois d'amour ] : a pipe-organ oboe stop having a veiled and pathetic tone
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?