Definition of oak opening
: an open usually even-aged stand of white oak or bur oak in a turf of native grasses forming a characteristic natural plant community adjoining or interspersed by prairie in much of Illinois and southern Wisconsin prior to the establishment of settlements and agriculture
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game