Definition of nu movable
: a nu inserted in ancient and modern Greek at the end of vowel-final words of certain classes when followed by a vowel-initial word or by a pause or inserted in poetry even before an immediately following word with a single initial consonant to provide two consonants to make a preceding short vowel long by position — compare movable sense 5
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game