not bat an eye/eyelashidiom
Definition of not bat an eye/eyelash
: to show no surprise, fear, concern, etc. He thought the news would make her upset, but she never batted an eye. He listened without batting an eyelash.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game