nose aboutphrasal verb
nosed about; nosing about; noses about
Definition of nose about
: to search for something (such as private or hidden information) in usually a quiet or secret way She caught him nosing about in her papers/office. The police nosed about the property for a while, but they didn't find anything.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game