northern red-legged frognoun
Definition of northern red-legged frog
: a large, long-legged frog (Rana aurora) native to western North America from British Columbia to northern California that is reddish-brown to greenish-gray with black spots and has red on the undersides of the arms, legs, and abdomen The northern red-legged frog has been so elusive in recent years that state wildlife officials placed it on the state “Sensitive Species List.”— Mike Stahlberg, Seattle Times, 11 Apr. 1999
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game