Definition of northern cardinal
: cardinal sense 5a(1) … studies have shown that certain Indiana species, including the northern cardinal, have been inching farther north for more than 100 years.— Robert Annis, Indianapolis Star, 16 Feb. 2009 This seems to be the year of the northern cardinal as they are plentiful everywhere.— Phyllis Yochem, Corpus Christi (Texas) Caller-Times, 12 Feb. 2005
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game