Definition of nonhappening
1 : failure to happen A debt is contingent if the debtor's liability is determined by the happening or nonhappening of a future event.— John H. Williamson
2a : something that does not happen But perhaps the most important happening in this offseason was a nonhappening: not one of the NASL's 24 franchises folded or moved.— John Feinstein
b : something (such as an event) that is not interesting, entertaining, or important … it was a late-night match, not televised, past most newspaper deadlines, therefore practically a nonhappening except for those in attendance.— Bud Collins
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?