none the wiseridiom
Definition of none the wiser
1 : not knowing or understanding anything more about something The investigation has been going on for months, and we're still none the wiser about the true cause of the accident.
2 —used to describe someone who is not at all aware of something that has happened I borrowed his car and returned it, and he was none the wiser.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game