no·e·sis | \ nōˈēsə̇s \
Definition of noesis
1 : purely intellectual apprehension:
a Platonism : the highest kind of knowledge or knowledge of the eternal forms or ideas —contrasted with dianoia
b in Husserl : the subjective aspect of or the act in an intentional experience —distinguished from noema
2 : cognition especially when occurring through direct knowledge
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game