ni·tro·phenol | \ "+\
Definition of nitrophenol
1 : a nitro derivative of phenol: such as
a : a yellow crystalline compound O2NC6H4OH used chiefly in organic synthesis
— called also ortho-nitrophenol
b : a colorless to yellowish isomeric compound O2NC6H4OH used chiefly as an acid-base indicator, as a fungicide, and in organic synthesis
— called also para-nitrophenol
2 usually nitro phenol : a nitro derivative of any of the class of phenols
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game