Definition of nitrogen pentoxide
: a white crystalline unstable compound N2O5 obtainable by oxidation of nitrogen dioxide with ozone or by dehydration of nitric acid and yielding nitric acid on combination with water with evolution of much heat; di-nitrogen pentoxide
— called also nitric anhydride, nitrogen (V) oxide
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
- ls ‘Series’ Singular or Plural?
- Triumph, Ovations and Other Words from Ancient Rome
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game