nine times out of tenidiom (1)
Definition of nine times out of ten
(Entry 1 of 2)
: occurring on average nine times for every ten instances of something : most of the time by far She beats me at chess nine times out of ten.
ninety-nine times out of a hundredidiom (2)
Definition of ninety-nine times out of a hundred (Entry 2 of 2)
: almost always Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, you can fix the problem by restarting the computer.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game