Definition of nice try
: a good effort or attempt to do something Nice try. I'm sure you'll do better next time. —usually used in an ironic way to say that an attempt at something was not very good or was not a nice thing to do Nice try, but you're not going to trick me this time.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game