Definition of next best
—used to refer to a person or thing that is not as good as the best but is better than all others. The shortstop is the best player on the team, and the catcher is the next best player.We can't see each other often, but calling each other on the telephone is the next best thing.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game