Definition of next best
—used to refer to a person or thing that is not as good as the best but is better than all others. The shortstop is the best player on the team, and the catcher is the next best player.We can't see each other often, but calling each other on the telephone is the next best thing.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?