new philharmonic pitchnoun
Definition of new philharmonic pitch
: a tuning standard of 435 to 439 vibrations per second for A above middle C adopted in Britain at the end of the 19th century to replace the old philharmonic pitch
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game