new philharmonic pitchnoun
Definition of new philharmonic pitch
: a tuning standard of 435 to 439 vibrations per second for A above middle C adopted in Britain at the end of the 19th century to replace the old philharmonic pitch
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game