variants: or less commonly neutralization value
Definition of neutralization number
: a number indicating the degree of acidity or alkalinity of a substance determined by finding the amount of alkali or acid required for neutralization specifically : the weight in milligrams of potassium hydroxide required to neutralize the acid in one gram of an oil (as a hydrocarbon oil)
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game