Definition of negative painting
: an ancient process of decorative painting (as of Peruvian Indian pottery) marked by application of wax or gum to parts of a surface and by application of color to the entire surface and by subsequent removal of the wax or gum so as to leave a pattern created by the parts of the surface thus left unpainted
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?