: the quality or state of being necessary
- He questioned the necessity for the change.
: pressure of circumstance
- The plane was compelled by necessity to change its course.
: physical or moral compulsion
- did it, not because he wanted to, but by necessity
: impossibility of a contrary order or condition
- submitting to the necessity imposed by the physical laws of the universe
: the quality or state of being in need;
- had come to help them in their necessity
: something that is necessary : requirement
- Many families could not afford the bare necessities of life.
: an urgent need or desire
- When his father collapsed, an ambulance became a necessity.
: in such a way that it cannot be otherwise;
: as a necessary consequence
- further changes will occur of necessity