Definition of native speaker
: a person who learned to speak the language of the place where he or she was born as a child rather than learning it as a foreign language a native speaker of Swahili That kind of mistake is rarely made by native speakers.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game