Definition of naphthenic acid
: any of numerous chiefly monocarboxylic acids derived from naphthenes and obtained from naphthene-base and asphalt-base petroleums usually : a commercial viscous liquid mixture of such acids used especially in the form of salts (as copper naphthenate) as paint driers and preservatives for wood and textiles — see metallic soap
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?